Monday, November 27, 2006

ON BELLS & WHISTLES

On Saturday we put up the Christmas tree. It’s huge and oversized and I love it. My pops is threatening to send it with me when I finally move out, I welcome it with open arms. Now my parents are true Indians. I assume Russell Peter’s is old news to you guys, but if not, here’s a good video: SEE BELLOW

Of my folks many warm qualities is their love for deals. In the summer, their favorite past time is going from garage sale to garage sale. They cleverly accumulate the junk they buy, hide it and then things innocently turn up. Case in point, we somehow had 100 red velvet bows for the tree. Yuck! That went straight back to the salvation army this morning.

Minus the velvet bows, our tree looks beautiful.

4 comments:

Marika said...

Oh my lord, that is SO my mother too! Remember about 15 years ago, candles were hugely fashionable? They were here, anyway. My mother has never moved past 1991 in the decorating stakes, and on Christmas Day at their house you can barely move for fear of setting yourself on fire from one of the many thousand gold, silver, red, green etc etc candles that bear some effigy of Santa, the baby Jesus (BURNING the baby Jesus? Am I the only one who thinks this is odd?) Rudolph or a snowflake. Christmas Day in Queensland usually averages about 35 degrees celcius, and inevitably at about 6.30pm they have to turn the air conditioners on because of the damn heat generated by the damn candles.

And the saddest thing? I can SO see myself doing something similar when I'm her age.

Crankyputz said...

Marika I feel your pain.

I got home last night, and they had a 'Christmas clock' set up. They were brimming with pride over the hideous green circle with the most annoying chime you have ever heard. ugh.....

Island Spice said...

er.. try getting my Dad to give up the red velvet bows.. must be an Indian thing.. ;)

Unknown said...

Oh hell. Another reminder that Christmas is on the way.