Monday, January 08, 2007

On being a Pirate

Fathead got me the Grey’s Anatomy DVD Season 1 for Christmas and I’ve been watching it religiously everyday since.

Then I got the urge to watch Season 2.

So I went to Best Buy and found out that the season 2 DVD was $60……insane.

Disappointed, I pondered downloading season 2, but decided against it, since it would take too much time and effort.

Then I thought of Pacific Mall.

Pacific Mall is a Chinese bootleg haven. It has been raided and fined several times over the years, yet continues to exist, unfazed. Infact it was reported to be the only mall in Canada open on Christmas day. They sell (among other things) brand new high quality DVD’s, usually 3 for $10. I got the 6 Grey’s DVD’s for $25, plus an extra movie for free (Blood Diamond.)

Now people we all know Lady Putz loves her deals.

I sit here, in Grey’s ecstasy, wondering if I should feel guilty?

I am reminded of the theatre commercials about Joe, the onsite technician on Movie sets, who because of my alleged pirating habits, will no longer have a job next year, as the production companies cannot afford to keep him.

Well my line of thinking is this: If movies are still being made, despite the absence of people like Joe, perhaps we never really needed Joe to begin with, and piracy is now the cause of growing efficiency within the movie making industry.

Note: for all the moralists out there, remember, if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all……

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry. Just about everyone has bought a bootleg CDE or DVD. $60? Ridiculous! What's so great about Grey's Anatomy?

Miz JJ said...

The price of DVDs will have to come down. Nobody is trying to pay $60 for some DVDs. I got some Buffy DVDs over the holiday from Walmart Season 2 & 3. They were packaged together for $35. Now that is a price I am willing to pay. So where is this chinese bootleg mall? I venture down to the T-dot sometimes. I might have to go check it out. I love bootleg stuff.

Crankyputz said...

Leon: What's not great about it?

It's the ultimate chick show, hot men, nail bitting story lines......sigh!

Crankyputz said...

Hey Miss J, Pacific mall is at Kennedy and steels, there is also another place at Brimely and Sheppard the tall building.....

Marika said...

Said like a true HR professional :)

Crankyputz said...

Hehehe...M...that's a good one....

bitsandgiggles said...

If the studios can afford to pointlessly put Ms. Joile in The Good Shepherd then we are obviously paying too much for all entertianment related things. Enjoy the dvds and don't feel bad at all.

Anonymous said...

I find it ridiculous to spend $2000 on one movie that gets dumped in a pile after it gets watched once. If you can pay the actress $30 million and still make money then your product is severely overpriced.