Monday, June 25, 2007


I have been watching a lot of the cooking network lately.

I love how the camera gets right into the food, and the new cooks are all messy and boisterous. As if to say that by making a bit of a mess the food will taste more delicious.

Last night, making my broccoli salad, my alter ego inspired by Jamie Oliver came out. I began to chop up the broccoli and onions and threw it into the bowl with all the pizzazz my hands could muster. I scurried around the kitchen grabbing ingredients (ok so besides the onion all that went into it is salt, pepper and coleslaw dressing) and tossing them in. Yelling to my make believe audience, “Oh look at those colors, Look at those flavors.” I grabbed my pepper grinder and began to grind in the pepper, ‘ohhing and ahhing’ along the way.

Then I began to toss it all up, just like Jamie does, bare hands, a few pieces falling out of the bowl and unto the kitchen top. Until my mother came by and smacked me across the head, reminding me that in real life Indian people don’t waste anything….as she put it, “Listen here, your not a gora, so wash those extra pieces and put it back in, we have two big hogs to feed.”

16 comments:

Jay said...

Ah... family violence; the cornerstone of any lovingly-prepared meal.

bitchdoctrine said...

hahahaha. that broccoli salad is looking kinda good though..

Miz JJ said...

Hilarious. One time my mom caught me cutting off "too much" of the broccoli stems. I think got the same lecture.

Jdid said...

wasteful girl

Moderator said...

I highly recommend any shows featuring the lovely and talented Giada DeLaurentiis.

Anonymous said...

terrible terrible terrible wasting the veggies. lol I'm just teasing you. The salad looks nice.

BTW, I posted pics of the pup by my pages.

Unknown said...

Nice! Haha!

Unknown said...

LOL! you go you big chef you!

Abeni said...

lol,that's right Mom.

Anonymous said...

LOL my mom always said I chopped too much off the potatoes. LMAO I LOVED this post!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! Hope it tasted good after all that. My mother used to give me the starving children here there and everywhere story (which you can't really appreciate at 4 or 7 or 11. She never liked it very much when I told her 'sent it to them then'.

Dee said...

gora?

Crankyputz said...

GC: Gora is white person in Hindi

dalia said...

thank you for clearing up the gora thing. i love books by brown authors and every once in a while they reference a "blardy gora" and i had NO idea what the hell a gora was until i read your blog.

*weeps tears of joy*

inciquay said...

hmmm, "gora" eh? I'm using that one from now on; gotta keep 'em guessin' naw mean?!

Anonymous said...

dangerous places kitchens :-) they do say most household accidents occur there, they just don't say HOW